[R-SIG-Finance] LPPL model for bubble burst forcasting

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Mon Jul 20 15:22:06 CEST 2009

Glad to see you're making progress on this problem.

This paper
http://www.diegm.uniud.it/satt/papers/DiSc06b.pdf

implements a tabu search in R, though they didn't publish their code.
You might want to contact them for the implementation and permission to
share their tabu search algorithm/code with the R community.

They also reference an R package called RACE by this gentleman:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~mbiro/
that they use for evaluating the solution.

More generally, from my limited understanding, tabu search is an
extension and refinement of simulated annealing approaches easily
implemented in R.  In brief the approach is to take your best 'n'
solutions from a random space search, and then search "near" those
solutions.  Simulated annealing and its close cousins have a lot of
benefits in finance, where a single true optima from a closed form
problem is not likely to be available.  I personally have rarely found
'optim' to be usable for my problem space, and have had to use other
solvers for practical problems in finance.

Regards,

  - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson