[R-SIG-Finance] Help on constrained regression

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jul 3 02:19:19 CEST 2009

           1.  Have you made normal probability plots of the data
(function "qqnorm")?  This could reveal outliers or a need for a
transformation.

           2.  Have you considered using "lme" with "corAR1", allowing
"a" to be negative?  The examples in the help file for "corAR1" show how
to estimate this model with a different "b" for each series but with one
"a" shared between all series.  Then an analysis of residuals should
help you identify which series seem least consistent with the model.

           3.  Have you considered dropping one observation in each
series and using "lme" to estimate a distinct "a" and "b" for each
series, allowing  "a" to be negative?  If the grand mean of the
estimates for "a" are positive, this will reduce the number of negative
"a" values by shrinking them all towards the grand mean.  Then you can
look more carefully at the series that still have negative "a" values.
They will either contain outliers, or you will likely identify some
other series to include in the model so it becomes something more like
the following:

           y[t] = a*y[t-1] + b + c*x[t] + e

      As your comment indicated, the seriously negative estimates for
"a" suggest some substantive violations of the assumptions you used to
conclude that "a" should be positive.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer