[R-SIG-Finance] Fw: Value-at-Risk

Murali.MENON at fortisinvestments.com Murali.MENON at fortisinvestments.com
Wed Jul 1 15:41:31 CEST 2009

Hi,
Regarding the use of EVT-based VaR, I think it is dependent on the asset
class. In exchange rates, e.g., you may generally be served well with
EVT for the major currencies, but might do quite badly with emerging
market currencies. Likewise, in the credit markets, EVT may not do too
well. The assumption of a constant tail index results in misleading VaR
at the extreme tails, especially when there are several regime shifts.
Take a look at the paper "Testing for Multiple Regimes in the Tail
Behavior of Emerging Currency Returns" by B. Candelon and S. Straetmans,
LIFE Working Paper 03-035.
Cheers,
Murali