[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] commodity prices

gug guygreen at netvigator.com
Mon Mar 30 03:11:38 CEST 2009

"Resending" this reply as it has been stalled (not yet accepted by the
mailing list) for several days:

Not a perfect solution: as far as I can tell there isn't one.  You'll
probably know of these already, but for what they're worth:

* Economagic.com for a wide variety of historic time series.

* The NBER Macrohistory Database
http://www.nber.org/databases/macrohistory/contents/ including Chapter 4 -
price indices from 1800's to 1960's in some cases.

* For monthly gold, the Bank of England:
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mfsd/iadb/CategoryIndex.asp?Travel=NIxAZx&CategId=allcats&CategName=Combined%20A%20to%20Z

* In theory, annual gold prices since 1257 (though its not working for me
right now): http://www.measuringworth.org/gold/

* For metals, with charts and some daily data back to 1996:
http://www.kitco.com/gold.londonfix.html

* And for commodity price charts, but not the underlying data:
http://futures.tradingcharts.com/menu.html

Dear R Finance People:

I posted this to the regular list but thought that I would try here as
well.

Does anyone know of a website for historical commodity prices, please?

Thanks,

Erin

Erin M. Hodgess, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: hodgesse at uhd.edu