[R-SIG-Finance] Elegant bootstrapping with zoo

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 26 20:33:47 CET 2009

hi brian,

one line of code, seems elegant to me ;) i guess sp500.subset has several
columns? i am not sure whether `sample' can be made to work row-wise on a
matrix, but you could write your own function.

require(zoo)

## create some artifical returns data
z <- rnorm(200) * 0.05
dim(z) <- c(100, 2)
z <- zoo(z, 1:100)

## function (x = matrix with time series in columns, nR = number of
replications)
bsRows <- function(x, nR){
	z  <- as.matrix(x)
	bs <- sample(seq(1,nrow(z)), nR, replace = TRUE)
	z  <- z[bs,]
	z  <- zoo(z, index(x)[bs])
	return(z)
}

## try
bsRows(z, 10)

(you may get warnings for repeated dates)
regards,
enrico