[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] VaR

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 4 12:56:07 CET 2009

sorry, i did not follow this thread closely, so maybe i repeat something
that has already been said.

to quote david: "In the case of equities or anything with a reasonable
distribution this type of thing is unlikely to happen."  theoretically,
"reasonable" is elliptical distributions, for which var actually is a
coherent risk measure. a very readable paper describing this can be found
here http://www.math.ethz.ch/~strauman/light/risk.pdf

regards
enrico