[R-SIG-Finance] Antwort: Re: Antwort: [R-sig-finance] VaR

Matthias.Koberstein at hsbctrinkaus.de Matthias.Koberstein at hsbctrinkaus.de
Tue Mar 3 13:26:53 CET 2009

Hi

thats what I ment with the second paragraph. If any of the return
distributions is not normal or shifted/skewed or whatever, you usually have
a serious problem finding the quantile.

Cheers
Matthias

**** Ressourcen schonen, weniger drucken - Think before you print! ****

Diese E-Mail sowie eventuelle Anhänge enthalten vertrauliche und / oder
rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat
sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte
sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
oder Speichern sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht
gestattet.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and / or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
destroy this e-mail . Any unauthorized copying, storing, disclosure or
distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt AG
Sitz: Düsseldorf, Königsallee 21/23, 40212 Düsseldorf, Handelsregister:
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf HRB 54447
Mitglieder des Vorstands: Andreas Schmitz (Sprecher), Paul Hagen, Dr. Olaf
Huth, Carola Gräfin v. Schmettow
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Sieghardt Rometsch

             Micha Keijzers
             <micha.keijzers at g
             mail.com>                                                  An
             Gesendet von:               Matthias.Koberstein at hsbctrinkaus.
             r-sig-finance-bou           de
             nces at stat.math.et                                       Kopie
             hz.ch                       r-sig-finance at stat.math.ethz.ch,
                                         Bogaso
             Fax-Deckblatt:              <bogaso.christofer at gmail.com>
             HSBCTuB                                                 Thema
             03.03.2009 13:23            Re: [R-SIG-Finance] Antwort:
                                         [R-sig-finance] VaR

Matthias and others,

Indeed, correlation possibly has something to do with it. But it's not the
whole story. VaR is a quantile of a distribution and you can draw up
examples that go wrong specifically there, regardless of correlation. I
constructed or adapted one, which must have been about three years ago I
think, based on an example which came from IIRC Föllmer's book "Stochastic
Finance" or "Quantitative Risk Management" by McNeil, Frey and Embrechts. I
would have to do some serious digging to be sure... The example was based
on
a very simple example of defaults in a loan portfolio. Explicitly showing
the quantiles in the loss distribution you could show that subadditivity
did
not hold when VaR is used as a risk measure.

Kind regards,
Micha Keijzers