[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] VaR

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Tue Mar 3 12:34:01 CET 2009

  Hi  Christofer: I don't know if the analogy is allowed but this can
happen with regular statistical
variance so maybe it can happen with Value at Risk also ? if you have a
covariance matrix
of 2 assets with portfolio weights w_1 and w_2 and the 2 assets have
positive covariance, then the resulting variance of the portfolio will
be greater than the sum of the individual variances of the two assets
with weights w_1 and w_2. ( w_1*v_1 + w_2*v_2 ).

now I have no idea if the result for statistical variance holds for
Value at Risk ( i don't know the definition of Value at Risk ) but, if
it does, then that's probably the answer. Hopefully someone else will
tell us if the analogy is allowed ?