[R-SIG-Finance] Fwd: Using dummy variables R

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 19:36:37 CET 2009

hi: suppose you had just sectors so it was a one way anova : then if you
make the sectors factors rather than dummies, then, the default
contrasts for R are contr.sum and this means that your design matrix
will automatically make one of your dummies the average response
and in this way get rid of the implicit multicollinearity in the design
matrix.

john fox's text and car book get into this topic in more detail. I have
found it complicated and, since you have a two way anova, it's even more
complicated. but the key thing to do is change your dummies to factors
and let R do the work of making the design matrix full rank.

Also, I would send your question to R-help because there are people over
there ( who may not be on R-Sig-Finance )  who can say a lot about your
problem.

Mark