[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Conponent VaR for someoption portfolio

davidr at rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Fri Jan 30 16:37:02 CET 2009

Component VaR aside, Value-at-Risk is very difficult for options
and non-linear instruments in general. A number of years ago
RiskMetrics tried to use a delta-gamma approximation, but they
abandoned it soon since it really didn't work very well. You
may be able to find a paper or two on it somewhere under that name or
quadratic VaR, but many of them have been pulled.
(Check RiskMetrics.com and GloriaMundi.org.)
Finding the distribution of option values under an assumption of
a distribution assumption for the underlying is hard.
Taking volatility skew and such into account makes it harder.
It may be an interesting exercise to compute it, but using simulation
is going to be much easier and more useful in the end. Just make sure
you use a distribution for the underlying that has fat enough tails.

My 2 cents.
David L. Reiner, PhD
Head Quant
Rho Trading Securities, LLC