[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] VAR process

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 27 18:29:32 CET 2009

The transformation of the VAR(p) to a VAR(1) is a mechanical device used to
help understand the dynamics of the model. The VAR(1) form is called the
companion form of the VAR(p) and is an equivalent representation. In the
VAR(1) form the model is first order markov and the eigenvalues of the
transition matrix determines the stability properties of the system. This is
a common trick used for systems of stochastic differential equations.
Lutkepohl's book on multivariate time series gives a very clear explanation
of this.