[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Fw: Testing for cointegration: Johansen vs Dickey-Fuller

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 06:45:54 CET 2009

  but why restrict A to be zero. the point is to see whether the
regression residuals are stationary ( this determines whether the two
series
are cointegrated.  also, did you test that they both have a unit root
first ? ). if non zero estimate of the intercept makes the residuals  be
more stationary from a hypothesis testing standpoint, then you may as
well include A in the initial regresssion. I say that partally based
on intuition in that if the intercept really is zero, A should get
estimated near zero but it's also based on guess work.

on the other hand,  testing whether  any series has a unit root ( the
dickey fuller stuff ) is where inclusion or not of the intercept gets
very tricky. hamilton has a very nice chapter on that. i think 17. i'm
pretty sure though that including the intercept in the cointegrating
regression itself  can't hurt you. maybe someone can confirm or
unconfirm this ? it's been a while since I looked at this material.