[R-SIG-Finance] Testing for cointegration: Johansen vs Dickey-Fuller

Paul Teetor paulteetor at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 05:56:48 CET 2009

All:

Many, many thanks to Mark, Brian, Jae, Ken, Matthieu, and Silika for the
thoughtful comments which they posted to the list.  I am very grateful for
your insights.  I will be studying your replies and following-up on what I
learn.

Here is a summary of some major points:

- Testing for cointegration and unit roots is an art, just like building any
significant statistical model.  The cointegration and unit root tests are
not as mechanical as I thought.

- My problem is a (relatively) simple bivariate case, therefore the
Engle-Granger or Philips-Ouliaris procedures could be more appropriate.  The
Johansen procedure is probably overkill.

- The bivariate tests will likely be more consistent with the Dickey-Fuller
test results.

- I need to decide if the OLS fit is really a meaningful long-run
cointegration vector.  If so, my modelling and testing process changes.

- I need to carefully construct my model and consider issues such as long-
and short-run modelling, choice of predictor versus response, number of
lags, trend versus no-trend, etc.

- I also need to carefully check the model, especially for significance.

- I definitely need to get Bernhard Pfaff's book (2nd ed.).

- Bernhard Pfaff's vignette for the VAR package contains useful information,
too.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

Paul