[R-SIG-Finance] Generic versus calendar futures in trading models

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 19:15:18 CET 2008

  i was actually referring to the older white one called a complete
guide to the futures markets but i don't remember it being a standout
book.
in fact, i probably didn't even read much of it.
i'd hate to recommend you to buy a WHOLE book to find out how to do the
adjusted rollover. why don't you try googling for adjust futures price.
there has to be stuff on the internet. if you can't find it on the
internet and don't want to buy the book, i may have some internet stuff
at home
that i can look for tonight ?

basically the process is the following: ( take it with a grain of salt
but this is what my memory tells me. i did this about a year or more ago
so it's a little
fuzzy ).

suppose you have current contract prices

p1_current  p2_current   p3_current           pn-1_current
pn_current

and suppose you have

next contract prices

                             pn-1_next       pn_next

where the indices denote the same dates.

when you calculate the returns for a contract, it's easy, (p_t -
p_t-1)/p_t-1

but, when you are rolling over on say day n,  and you want to calc the
return for that day, you can't do (pn_next - pn_current)/pn_next

because the prices change due to whatever ( cost of carry ,
backwardation ? ) but you don't get that price appreciation investment
wise.

you need to calculate (pn_next - pn-1_next)/pn-1_next = return on day n
even though it rolloed over on day n ( you use the n-1 next even though
you are
rolling over on day n ).

so, then once you have this full stream of ADJUSTED returns for ALL
contracts, then you can start at the beginning, call the price of
wherever you are starting at

P_0 and calculate the prices as P_O*cumprod(1+r) where r is the return
stream that accounts for the rollover weirdness.

Does this make any sense ? If not, of course you can buy schwager's book
but I don't remember it being some amazing book. I just remember it
having what I just said in there somewhere ? Also, I'm sendig this to
the list because there may be some detail tht i'm leaving out and maybe
someone
can correct me. if that's the case. I really don't feel like I should be
giving you an algorithm that could be a little off but atleast that's
the basic idea.