[R-SIG-Finance] Scaling risk for irregularly spaced time series?

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Fri Oct 10 22:50:20 CEST 2008

the square root of time thing you use is valid even if you just
calculated the sharp ratio over one's hours worth of data,
as long as you willing to make the assumptions it's making.

that  thing is is taking a hourly  variance estimate  and then assuming
that the variances are independent, adding them up over 24 hours to make
a daily estimate, and then taking the square root to get the daily
standard deviation. so, it doesn't matter how many
hours of data you have as long as you are calculating an hourly
volatility estimate based on that data. whether the independence
assumption holds is a totally different story.