[R-SIG-Finance] Building a GUI with R

Karim Chine karim.chine at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:15:33 CEST 2008

Hi Alex and Eli,

The following project is probably what you need : www.biocep.net
(www.biocep.net/doc.html if you don't have the Java plugin)
Your GUI can be  created as a standalone Java or .NET desktop
application or as a plugin (Swing) within a provided universal workbench
that can create and control R engines anywhere (locally, on grids,
clusters, cloud servers,..)
Here are links to the workbench if you would like to try it :
via Java Web Start :
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/workbench.jnlp
as an applet :
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/rworkbench_applet.html
as a java application : download
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/appletlibs/biocep.jar and
type : java -jar biocep.jar
and here's an example of a plugin created via a drag&drop GUI editor
(Netbeans):
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/examples/SimplePlugin.jar
The project has been presented at several conferences
(http://www.biocep.net//doc.html#Talks). It is not released yet but what
is available on the Website is already fully usable.

Best wishes,

Karim