[R-SIG-Finance] Career/Educational Advice - First Post

davidr at rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Tue Sep 30 17:05:55 CEST 2008

Much of what happens in the financial world is proprietary,
and some firms are quite paranoid, so any sharing is out.

A firm I worked at in the late eighties and early nineties used
S then S-Plus very heavily in many aspects of analysis, but very
little in production. Most places I've worked since then have had
S-Plus or I've used R. A few have had Matlab as well.

However, all real-time option valuation, etc., must be done in a
fast, complied language, so there's always going to be something
_like_ C required for quant development for production.

David L. Reiner, PhD
Head Quant
Rho Trading Securities, LLC