[R-SIG-Finance] REMINDER: R/Finance/Chicago October 3rd

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 20:55:10 CEST 2008

R-finance useRs [[Chicago]]:

***A quick reminder of next Friday's event!  Hope to see everyone there!***

I'm happy to announce the first big meeting of R/Finance users in Chicago
on October 3rd, 2008.

In coordination with major R finance contributors and the support of the
University of Illinois at Chicago, we invite the local community to an
informal social gathering after the market close on Friday October 3rd.

The gathering will be at Jak's Tap in the West Loop and will start with a
casual reception at 3:30.  Details and links can be found at the bottom of
this email.

The idea is to bring together industry practitioners and academics with a
common interest in R, from across Chicago-land, to meet face to face.  We
hope to increase discussion about the future of R and finance.  We will
also be discussing a much bigger event for the Spring and would like
feedback as to possible direction and content.

The afternoon/evening will be mostly informal, with formal presentations
starting around 5.

The formal agenda:

• We will have a small presentation from some of the locally-based
contributors as to the state of the R community in finance, as well as a
vision for the future.  The current presenters include:

 Jeff Ryan [quantmod, xts, IBrokers]
 Dirk Eddelbuettel [CRAN Empirical Finance task View, RQuantLib, etc]
 Brian Peterson & Peter Carl [PerformanceAnalytics]
 Josh Ulrich [TTR, xts, opentick]

• A presentation by UIC's Finance Department and International Center for
Futures and Derivatives on: (1) how UIC fits into the R-finance mix, and
(2) what they have to offer the larger quantitative/trading community in
Chicago.

Following the formal presentations, we will have the room(s) until 10PM to
allow for discussion and collaboration among the attendees.

Please RSVP to jeffrey.ryan at insightalgo.com or jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com

What: First R/Finance Chicago Meeting
Where: Jak's Tap. 901 W. Jackson, Chicago IL  http://jakstap.com/
When: Friday, October 3, 2008
Time: 3:30 - 10:00PM (presentations start at 5:00PM)

--
Jeffrey Ryan
jeffrey.ryan at insightalgo.com

ia: insight algorithmics