[R-SIG-Finance] Frequency too high for ets?

rkevinburton at charter.net rkevinburton at charter.net
Mon Sep 22 20:38:12 CEST 2008

Thank you. I did get a valiuable technique for debugging that I didn't know before from your comments.

So from your comments I gather the limit for exponential smoothing is 24. Not having much experience with exponential smoothing is it unreasonable to expect an algorithm to handle frequencies > 24? I started out with daily data (365 observations per year). I quickly realized that there were not any available fitting algorithms that could handle that degree of resolution. I tried splitting the year in half and splitting the year into quarters (91 observations per quarter). I finally found that if I have 52 observations per year I can use arima to fit and ARIMA model to my data. That seemed like a compromise that I could live with but it was still a compromise. Now if I want to fit an exponential smoothing model I need to further reduce the frequency by more than a half. Are there other packages that can handle this? I would like to be able to forecast down to any given week in the year if possible. In other words if I feed in something like week 48 I would like to be able to handle this. Reommendations?

Thank you.

Kevin