[R-SIG-Finance] Financial Econometrics

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 16 19:03:25 CEST 2008

Well, this is a bit of a challenge. The best overall book on financial
econometrics is Campbell, Lo and MacKinlay's book The Econometrics of
Financial Markets. They cover a very wide variety of topics on the
econometric analysis of financial models (return predictability, high
frequency and market microstructure, event studies, portfolio theory, factor
models, derivatives models, etc). Since most financial data is times series
(or panel oriented) the emphasis is on time series applications but there
are plenty of cross section topics as well. You might supplement the
material by a general discussion of GMM techniques as well as panel data
techniques. I would suggest using Cochrane's Asset Pricing Book together
with Hall's GMM book for this material. Unfortunately, this material is
probabably too advanced for most MBA students without a good stat
background. You might also consider Ruppert's book Statistics and Finance:
An Introduction or Carmona's book Statistical Analysis of Financial Data in
S-PLUS and pick the chapters that are not so much time series oriented. I
personally like these books quite a lot. Finally, another choice might be
Chris Brooks' book Introductory Econometridcs for Finance. However, this
book is fairly time series oriented but does have a solid treatment of
regression topics.
Hope this helps.
ez