[R-SIG-Finance] R for Individual Stock Trading Analysis

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 21:00:10 CEST 2008

I'll second Brian's comments, and add a few more.

Looking through the list archives will provide tremendous insight  ---
make that a habit.  All the R-lists.

I think a reasonable number of packages on CRAN, as well as on the
Finance Task Views, include pdf vignettes.  These are usually quite
valuable as well for a general take on what you can do.  The
PerformanceAnalytics and portfolio ones are especially nice.

quantmod has some examples at:
http://www.quantmod.com/examples/

quantmod also has full charting ability with technical indicators
(from the TTR package) as well as a simple mechanism to add your own.
There are also some 'coming soon' links that are to be posted... some
day.

quantmod uses the 'xts' package, which is very 'zoo'-oriented.  Both
these packages have nice vignettes to make data management,
manageable.

In terms of non-professional data I also have an interface to
Interactive Brokers available on CRAN.  This at present allows for
historical and RT data capture/playback from IB.  The development
version has a INcomplete mechanism to execute trades through that
platform as well.

Of course Yahoo, Google, Federal Reserve, and Oanda (FX) data is
available in a few packages (quantmod included).  Additional data
tools include packages 'opentick' [access to opentick data in R], and
'RCSI' [www.csidata.com].  Both of those are on R-forge.  Bloomberg
API is also available, though I suspect that is not in the private
trader arsenal :)

Hope that helps,
Jeff