[R-SIG-Finance] Finance Benchmarks/Workload

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sun Aug 3 17:53:35 CEST 2008

"huge amounts of data and computation" doesn't say much.  You still
haven't told the list what it is you are trying to do with your system
so that we can give you *relevant* benchmarks.  Descriptive things like
"building a Markowitz portfolio optimizer for 4000 instruments" or
"calculating daily risk capital for a bank on 200,000 positions" or
"conducting intra-day pricing on 2000 monitored municipal bonds" or
"performing Monte Carlo risk calculations on 3 million simulated
portfolios"etc.  All of my toy examples here have very different
computational and data requirements. Without more clarity on what you
are trying to do, we don't have enough information to give you relevant
benchmark numbers.

Cheers,

    - Brian