[R-SIG-Finance] Correlation on Tick Data

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 22 21:37:21 CEST 2008

Computing correlation on tick data is very tricky. You should consult the realized covariance literature (e.g. papers by Neil shephard and his co-authors) for an introduction to the issues of getting sensible correlations from tick data. Many issues are involved such as aligning data to a common time clock, how often to sample (how many ticks to use), stale quotes for some assets, how to deal with microstructure noise (bid ask bounce etc), etc. just computing an naive correlation on tick data is not a good idea.

*  Eric Zivot                  			               *
*  Professor and Gary Waterman Distinguished Scholar           *
*  Department of Economics                                     *
*  Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu *
*  University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715            *
*  Seattle, WA 98195-3330                                      *                                                           *
*  www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot                  *