[R-SIG-Finance] Correlation on Tick Data

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 17:38:44 CEST 2008

  just to elaborate a bit more on what matt said.

you need to make sure you time series are stationary before you
correlate them.  usually one does this by using a unit root test but, in
your case, since you are dealing with currencies, as long as you are
dealing with the returns streamsand not the prices themselves, there's
really no need to use the unit root test.  returns should be stationary
( in general ).   if you're dealing with prices, then correlations don't
make sense because prices aren't ( in general ),
or atleast i've never seen prices that were.