[R-SIG-Finance] CVaR, fExtremes

Markus Gesmann Markus.Gesmann at libero.uk.com
Thu Jul 10 13:04:34 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I struggle to understand the output of the CVaR function in the fExtremes package.
The output of VaR (Value at Risk) gives me results I expect to see. However the output of CVaR is less than the output of VaR. From my understanding CVaR gives the mean over a given threshold and should therefore always be bigger than VaR.
The fowling example shows the output of VaR and CVaR:

library(fExtremes)
n <- 1000000
loss.ratio <- rlnorm(n, -0.3479, 0.104)
VaR(loss.ratio, 0.995) # same as quantile(loss.ratio, 0.995)
#    99.5%
# 0.9588572
CVaR(loss.ratio, 0.995)
#    99.5%
#0.7088572

I expected an output more like this:
mean(loss.ratio[loss.ratio > 0.995])
# 1.021089
mean(loss.ratio[loss.ratio > 0.995]) - VaR(loss.ratio, 0.995)
#  99.5%
#0.09783733

Maybe I am just a little bit confused and mix up terminologies.

Markus

This message is intended for the personal and confidential use for the designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,  distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction or as an official statement of Libero Ventures Ltd.  Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information is subject to change without notice.