[R-SIG-Finance] quantmod addTA() How to compute his own indicator ?

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:35:31 CEST 2008

Bonjour Pierre,

The site now has some examples with respect to the new addTA and newTA
functionality

http://www.quantmod.com/examples/charting/#technicals

Apart from that the basic idea is that addTA will take the result of a
function call, and apply it to the active chart, whereas newTA will
let you create an indicator much like the built-in ones.

A quick example _not_ on the site using Guppy Multiple Moving Averages
(soon to be added to TTR or quantmod):

library(quantmod)
library(TTR) # for the EMA function - make sure to use the TTR version
and not the fTrading version, as TTR prepends NAs

getSymbols("YHOO")

 `GMMA` <- function(x, short=c(3,5,8,10,12,15),
long=c(30,35,40,45,50,60), type='EMA') {
    gmma <- sapply(c(short,long), function(g) do.call(type, list(x,n=g)))
    colnames(gmma) <- c(paste('short lag',short),paste('long lag',long))
    gmma
  }

  addGMMA <- newTA(GMMA, preFUN=Cl,
legend.name='GMMA',col=c(rep(c('green','red'), each=6)))

  barChart(YHOO)
  addGMMA()

  # alternately you can use addTA for one-off chart additions:

 addTA(GMMA(Cl(YHOO)),col=c(rep(c('blue','white'),each=6)))

In future additions there will be more control over titles, though for
the most part this works well even now.

addTA requires either a vector or matrix with NROW == NROW of the
charted series, OR alternately it can be an
xts object within the range of the original series.  Most graphical
parameters are handled by both functions, as well as the ability to
automatically recycle args and plot multiple lines.  The "on" argument
lets you add an overlay to the main window by specifying "on=1".
Eventually all windows will allow for this.

# add an overlay
addTA(EMA(Cl(YHOO)), on=1, col='yellow')

Hope that helps,
Jeff