[R-SIG-Finance] Resampling Methods for Dependent Data

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Jun 18 16:19:48 CEST 2008

Wei-han Liu wrote:
> Hi:
> Yes, I know 'tsboot' package and it is designed to generate resample
> using fixed or random block lengths. However, I am curious if it can be
> used to bootstrap heavy-tailed data and extremes.
> Wei-han

Resampling, by definition, only works from the sample available.  If the
sample has extremes, then the distribution generated by resampling with
replacement will have heavy tails.  This is a natural result of the rule
of large numbers...  With a sufficient number of samples, the tails will
fill out with resampling.

One of the theoretical problems with small initial sample sizes is that
the tails may not be representative in a resampling context.  If you've
never seen large loss events, then the distribution resulting from
resampling may not have heavy tails.  This is why other types of
analysis are generally employed along with a simple bootstrap such as
copula or skew-t fitting, or a Monte Carlo simulation with a fat-tailed
assumption.

Regards,

   - Brian