[R-SIG-Finance] Garch and multivariate garch

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 13 18:23:26 CEST 2008

The Bauwens survey paper in the Journal of Applied Econometrics is very good, but it lacks any practical examples of actually estimating multivariate garch models. In fact, I don't know of any survey paper that discusses the real life practical issues of estimating multivariate garch models. A good intuitive guide to forecasting correlation is in Carol alexander's book Market Models. Unfortunately, she spends a lot of time plugging her orthogonal garch model which is rather problematic in practice. A big problem in assessing the accuracy of estimating something like a conditional correlation is that the "true" time varying correlation is not observable so that the output of a multivariate garch model cannot be compared to an "actual" correlation to assess forecasting accuracy. One can try to follow Andersen and Bollerslev and try to compare a garch correlation forecast to a realized correlation
computed from high frequency data. However, this is also fraught with problems as it is not clear how one is supposed to compute realized correlation. I have a paper under preparation that looks at evaluating multivariate garch models using realized correlation. Unfortunately, none of the typical multivariate garch models work very well - especially the dynamic conditional correlation model of Engle. This is often the worst model! I have a reference list of some empirical multivariate garch papers and I'll post some references later this week.

*  Eric Zivot                  			               *
*  Professor and Gary Waterman Distinguished Scholar           *
*  Department of Economics                                     *
*  Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu *
*  University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715            *
*  Seattle, WA 98195-3330                                      *                                                           *
*  www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot                  *