[R-SIG-Finance] Framework for VAR allocation among traders

elton wang ahala2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 22:25:20 CET 2008

Brian,
In case I have doubt with observed moments, I will not
using these numbers on VaR modification; a simple non
paremetric distriubtion will catch the tail risk in a
more reliable way.

it is not the  case "> but I think that's all you
could do with any confidence." No one forces us to use
these higher moments even admitting non normal tail
risks, we have other ways.

The example of t distribution with DOF=4 is not
arguing one or another particular ideal distrubtion,
it is to show that it is totally possible that
underlying kurtosis does not converge/exist at all.
when you cleaning the data, the number change; when
you get more data, the number change.

http://www.gloriamundi.org/detailpopup.asp?ID=453055537
> >>  >> We implemented Component VaR for assets with
> >>  >> non-normal distribution in our
> >>  >> recent paper here:

=== message truncated ===