[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Aggregating tick by tick timeSeries [NC]

anass.mouhsine at sgcib.com anass.mouhsine at sgcib.com
Wed Mar 5 16:29:58 CET 2008

Thank you Jeff,

my aim was to calculate standard statistics + volume weighted prices and
spreads.

I will try out the xts package, but I am wondering if it can aggregate
Multivariate timeSeries (e.g, (spread, volume) or (price,volume)).

thanks again

|------------------------------
|            jeff.a.ryan at gmail
|            .com
|
|            03/05/2008 16:21

                                               Anass
                                               MOUHSINE/fr/socgen at socgen
                                                                        cc
                                               r-sig-finance at stat.math.eth
                                               z.ch
                                                                   Subject
                                               Re: [R-SIG-Finance]
                                               [R-sig-finance] Aggregating
                                               tick by tick timeSeries
                                               [C1]

Anass,

If you want the mean/sd/etc for each hour ?aggregate from zoo will do
the job very well. To get there from timeSeries you can use the new
'xts' package:

myTS [a timeSeries object]

as.xts(myTS) [ now an 'xts' object - which inherits from zoo]

--or--

as.zoo(myTS)

you can even put it back to a timeSeries with little information loss
if you use xts via 'reclass' (changing the series outside of xts
functions currently isn't perfect - but it is good)

If you want to just aggregate the data into OHLC per time period -
to.period in xts is fast and flexible:

to.period(myTS,'minutes',15)
to.period(myTS,'hours')
to.monthly(myTS)

All these work by converting and reconverting to an 'xts' class
internally - so most any (including timeSeries) class will just work
with the function.  In addition it is all compiled code - so it works
well.

One caveat - you'll need to get the most recent xts from
http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/xts - as there was a minor bug
in the transition of 'to.period' code from quantmod to xts.

Jeff

--
There's a way to do it better - find it.
Thomas A. Edison