[R-SIG-Finance] another garch question

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Mar 3 01:09:56 CET 2008

      1.  Have you studied the 'garchFit' help page, especially the
"Value" section?

      2.  Are you familiar with the 'str' function?

      3.  Between "1" and "2" and playing with simple examples, I'm
usually able to get answers to most of my questions for things like
this.  When that fails, I sometimes try simulated examples, e.g.,
generated via 'garchSim'.  Sometimes I work examples -- or parts of
examples in something like MS Excel.

      4.  The ultimately documentation is the source code.  You can get
source code with comments from 'www.r-project.org' -> CRAN -> (select a
mirror) -> Packages -> fGarch -> "Downloads:  Package source:
fGarch_260.72.tar.gz".  Saying 'debug(garchFit)', then executing a call
to garchFit will allow you to walk through the code line by line.

      You might like to have documentation that is more user friendly,
but you will NOWHERE find documentation that is as complete as the
source code -- nor as easy to modify for slightly different purposes.

      This may not answer your question, but I've given you here at
least 4 different fish hooks.  You supply the bait, and you should be
able to catch your fish.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer