[R-SIG-Finance] EMM: how to make forecast using EMM methods?

Guy Yollin guy.yollin at rotellacapital.com
Fri Feb 29 01:30:26 CET 2008

Michael,

If I understand correctly, you've used some EMM algorithms to estimate
the parameters of a stochastic volatility model.

If this is the case you should now be able to use Monte Carlo methods to
generate forecasts from your model.

That is, you will generate random variables (according to the
specifications of your model), feed them into your model and hence
simulate your stochastic volatility process.

Note sure what references you have been using but perhaps these would be
helpful:

Gallant, Hsieh and Tauchen (1997). "Estimation of stochastic volatility
models with diagnostics", Journal of Econometrics, 81, 159-192.

Andersen, T.G. H.-J. Chung, and B.E. Sorensen (1999). "Efficient Method
of Moments Estimation of a Stochastic Volatility Model: A Monte Carlo
Study," Journal of Econometrics, 91, 61-87.

Best,

-- G