[R-SIG-Finance] applying to.period on matrices

jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:28:21 CET 2008

Murali,

The core issue with to.period is that it is aggregating a series by period and tabulating the opening, closing, max (high) and min (low) value over these periods.

The resultant object is by necessity an OHLC object.  Currently Volume is summed if available too, but that isn't required.

Applying to a matrix is sort of ill-defined for this - as I am not too sure what the output would look like.  A list of OHLC objects?

Subsetting an xts does indeed result in another xts object.  Internally xts, like zoo, is just a matrix - with an index attribute.  So technically the columns aren't xts.

If you are just looking to calculate something -along- a period, say a maximum weekly value or a function applied periodically - look at period.apply.

Jeff
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile