[R-SIG-Finance] garch in R vs Matlab

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Feb 27 20:21:20 CET 2008

      I now see things I didn't see before:

           (1) With "garch11<-ret-res1", garch11 = mu.  Since the model
is "~garch(1,1)", I'd be worried if it were otherwise, because the model
for the 'mean' in this case is only the mean.

           (2) Per Michal's suggestions, it looks like 'innovations' may
be standardized residuals, which suggests we might want to compare
'innovations' with (fit at residuals / fit at sigma.t).

      In addition, you may wish to consider the following:

           (3) Using 'garchSim{fGarch}, you could simulate anything you
want in R, then export the numbers to Matlab and compare the estimates.
If you made that comparison, I'm sure that other people would be
interested in the answers.  [If you export from R to a csv file, I
suggest you first round the numbers off to, say, 4 significant digits,
then apply 'garchFit' to the rounded numbers, to ensure you are actually
analyzing the same numbers in R and Matlab.]

           (4) If you do very much with both R and Matlab, you may wish
to investigate the R.matlab package if you haven't already.  It's not
the easiest thing to use, but if you do very much with both R and
Matlab, you may wish to look at it if you haven't already.

     Spencer