[R-SIG-Finance] Extracting OHLC from trade price series

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:46:53 CET 2008

I wanted to clarify my comment with respect to timeDate:

>  The GMT issue has been discussed here many times over - try
>  Sys.setenv(TZ='GMT') for starters.  You are probably better off _not_
>  using timeDate - but I wrote xts so I wouldn't have to - to each his
>  own.

The 'timeDate' class itself is quite worthwhile.  There are many
methods that seem to be available that can make life easier.  My point
was more to the task at hand.  Simply subsetting an existing series,
or aggregating to a lower periodicity doesn't require much beyond
knowing time-stamps.

If time-stamps are needed - POSIXct, Date, and chron are all up to the
task.  It is entirely possible that 'timeDate' is equally useful, but
my thinking is always to start simple and them progress to the more
complicated only if necessary.

For what it's worth, 'xts' can also handle indexing by 'timeDate'.
See ?indexClass

I'd love to hear a bit from the Rmetrics developers regarding the
merits of 'timeDate'.  A comparison table of the different time/date
classes would be very beneficial to many I suspect.  I'd be more than
willing to try and put one together.

Jeff