[R-SIG-Finance] Question about garchSim and garch

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Sun Feb 3 10:37:23 CET 2008

tom soyer wrote:

>Thnaks Spencer. I am glad I am not the only one that find garch strange. I
>guess I will give up on it too. It seems that garchFit and garchSim are very
>good. They have been giving me good results so far.
>
>Thanks for the tip on how to specify arma + garch model. I found this paper
>also very helpful:http://www.itp.phys.ethz.ch/econophysics/R/pdf/garch.pdf.
>
>Do you know how to specify arma + egarch model in R? Is it even possible in
>R without installing Ox?

In my experience ARMA estimation and garch estimation are
suitably robust to each other.  It is definitely second prize to have
to estimate one and then the other, but your results are unlikely to
be all that different than if you did it "right".  (I'd love to hear of
any counter-examples.)

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696