[R-SIG-Finance] Question about garchSim and garch

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 2 18:19:17 CET 2008

Hi, Tom:

      The file 'scripts\ch03.R' in the FinTS package includes a brief
description of attempts to use garch{tseries} and garchFit{fGarch}.  I
don't understand either function very well, but I got answers from
'garchFit' that seemed to match some of the published results in Tsay;
I gave up on 'garch'.

      Since 'garchSim' and 'garchFit' are both in 'fGarch', I would
expect that it should be moderately easy to simulate something, plot the
result, and see for yourself.  Chapter 3 of Tsay (2005) gives a
reasonable overview of GARCH and related models with several examples.
The companion script\ch03.R is far from complete but might help.

      You may find the following example from 'ch03.R' of interest:

library(FinTS)
data(sp500)
library(fGarch)
spFit30.11 <- garchFit(sp500~arma(3,0)+garch(1,1), data=sp500)

      This specifies an arma(3,0) mean model with garch(1,1) noise.
This syntax is buried in the 'garchFit' help page.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer