[R-SIG-Finance] Compute Portfolio Returns

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Jan 29 14:15:59 CET 2008

Ravi S. Shankar wrote:
> But if in my portfolio I have cash and because of daily Mark to market
> my cash position would reflect my earnings from my futures position.
> Isn’t it sufficient to simply the compute the returns from Cash which
> includes the changes from futures position?

I'm afraid when you used the word "returns" I made the assumption that
you were speaking of percentage returns, and wanted the mechanics of
computing these even on a hypothetical portfolio, not specifically on
tracking change in value on a real portfolio.  So I'll try to operate in
the context of a cash portfolio in this email.

Generally futures contracts,like any other derivatives contract will not
"pay out" till expiration or sale of the contract. So I'm a bit confused
when you speak of a change in your cash position as a result of the
futures contract.  You may see a change in the amount of money you are
able to invest in new purchases because of your margin agreement, but
the actual cash value in your account should not change, although the
market value of securities held obviously does change.  So I'll try to
put this in  terms that I understand, and hopefully we can meet in the
middle somewhere.

It is certainly possible to track the returns on a "live" portfolio by
looking at the change in Mark to Market from day to day on all your
positions, as long as there is no change in investment (cash deposited
or withdrawn from the trading account).  This is the simplest way of
tracking returns, to work from a net asset value (NAV) number on the
portfolio.

If when you speak of your cash position, you are speaking of the Market
Value of Securities held or the NAV of your account, then I think we are
speaking of the same thing.

In very compact form:

NAV=Cash deposits+Market Value of Positions-Margin Balance

(adjusted for any inflows or outflows of capital invested from the
trading account)

> Even for the forward position my cash would reflect it. If I have a
> entered into a forward contract my cash would go up by the position
> times the premium amount(?)

Your NAV will reflect it, yes.  While margin or securities may be put up
as collateral for a forward contract, generally "cash" does not change
hands until the expiration or sale of the contract.

Contrast this with a swap, where in many cases there are cash payments
that happen throughout the life of the contract, depending of the terms
of the contract...

> So I cant individually compute the returns from a future position or a
> forward position without somehow including my cash position?

I spoke in my earlier email about computing the change in mark to market
on the derivatives contracts into a returns calculation (as on a
hypothetical portfolio).    This is, of course, somewhat more work than
simply tracking the NAV of your account.

Hopefully we're all speaking about the same things now.  If there is
still some confusion, hopefully we can clear it up in another round or two.

Regards,

   - Brian