[R-SIG-Finance] Solicitation of opinions on which Timeseries object(s) to utilize.

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:18:38 CET 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 11:08 PM, Joe W. Byers <ecjbosu at aol.com> wrote:

> > - Rmetrics' timeSeries is useful but has certain problems.
> >
> The certain problems with timeDate objects of Rmetrics is one of the
> reasons I posted this question.  I have found that even though you can
> give the timeSeries a financial center and a zone, the underlying
> timeDate object still defaults to GMT.  I have to pass or set the
> tz='EST5EDT' or something like that to get the correct numerical time
> integers.  I have not quite figured this one out yet.  This may also be
> an underlying problem with other timeseries packages but I thought
> determining the "best" timeseries package before progressing further was
> a better course .

That's to avoid the problems with POSIXct discussed in R News 4/1
(which you should read as it will give perspective on this).
All Rmetrics routines set TZ="GMT" going in and unset it going out
so that such problems are avoided.

This is really a defensive programming feature in Rmetrics that
makes it more robust, not a true problem.