[R-SIG-Finance] TTR

Josh Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:09:17 CET 2008

Marc,

We have discussed using ta-lib, which is a very fine library.  We
concluded it was too much overhead code for our purposes.  You can see
most of TTR is written in R, with a few 'grunt' functions written in
Fortran for speed.

Also, one main goal of TTR is flexibility.  For example, you can use
two different, non-standard moving averages in the RSI calculation.
We're not proficient in C/C++, so adapting such code for flexibility
is more difficult (for us) than writing in R, and we don't expect the
speeds gains from doing so to be terribly significant.

I'm not opposed to using open-source TA libraries, so long as they fit
with the overall plans for TTR.  Given our absence of C/C++ abilities,
someone else would have to volunteer to make the additions.

Best,
Josh
--
http://quantemplation.blogspot.com