[R-SIG-Finance] PerformanceAnalytics version 0.9.6 released to CRAN

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 06:23:07 CET 2008

Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the availability on CRAN of
> PerformanceAnalytics version 0.9.6.
>
> This is a feature and bugfix release.
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/PerformanceAnalytics.html
>
> PerformanceAnalytics is a library of econometric functions for
> performance and risk analysis. This library aims to aid practitioners
> and researchers in utilizing the latest research in analysis of
> non-normal return streams.
>
> Package: PerformanceAnalytics
> Type: Package
> Title: Econometric tools for performance and risk analysis.
> Version: 0.9.6
> Date: 2007-12-29
> License: GPL
>
> New Functions:
>      chart.ECDF
>          Creates an empirical cumulative distribution function (ECDF)
>          overlaid with a cumulative distribution function (CDF)
>          Inspired by:
>          Ruppert, David. 2004.
>          Statistics and Finance, an Introduction.
>          Ch. 2 Fig. 2.5
>
>      chart.ACF
>      chart.ACFplus
>          Inspired by (and partially ported from) the website:
>          http://www.stat.pitt.edu/stoffer/tsa2/Rcode/acf2.R
>          "here's an R function that will plot the ACF and PACF of a time
>          series at the same time on the SAME SCALE, and it leaves out
>          the zero lag in the ACF [and uses the number of observations
>          as the default]"
>          That description made a lot of sense, so it's implemented here
>          for both the ACF alone and the ACF with the PACF.
>
>      chart.Regression
>          Uses a scatterplot to display the relationship of returns
>          to a market benchmark.  Fits a linear model and overlays the
>          resulting model.  Also overlays a Loess line for comparison.
>
>      Return.read
>          Wrapper of 'read.zoo' with some defaults for different
>          date formats and frequencies.
>
>      Return.Geltner
>          Calculate Geltner liquidity-risk-adjusted return series.
>          David Geltner developed a method to remove estimating/liquidity
>          bias in real estate index returns.  It has since been applied
>          to other return series that show autocorrelation or
>          illiquidity effects. The theory is that by correcting for
>          autocorrelation, you are uncovering a "true" return from series
>          of observed returns that contain illiquidity or manual pricing
>          effects.
>
>      SmoothingIndex
>          Proposed by Getmansky et al to provide a normalized measure of
>          liquidity risk.  The index will produces a number from zero to
>          one.  A low number indicates low liquidity risk.  A number
>          trending towards one indicates a higher liquidity risk.
>
>      table.Autocorrelation
>          Produces data table of autocorrelation coefficients rho and
>          corresponding Q(6)-statistic for each column in return series.
>
>      table.CalendarReturns
>          Returns a table of returns formatted with years in rows, months
> [...]
Brian,

Great looking package!  I was installing it on my linux server using my
VNC connection and a terminal window as su root, so I was only using the
command windows, when I encountered an error with the install.  The
package requires tclk which will not load unless the display is set
correctly on the linux terminal shell.  I had to physically log on to
the linux machine to get it to install.  I am not sure if there is a
workaround or if you can change the package to only load the tclk
library as needed, not depend on it.  This is not a major issue for me
but being able to remotely connect and run a superuser shell is
convenient.  This will impact anyone that has a cron job that
automatically updates the R packages on machines.

Happy New Year
Joe