[R-SIG-Finance] Adding milliseconds to zoo object

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 17:40:18 CET 2007

Even though non-unique times form illegal zoo objects, both
zoo() and read.zoo() will allow you to create such illegal zoo objects
with a warning, rather than an error, in order to give you a chance to
fix them up into legal ones.  You can still extract and replace the times
in case you want to apply jitter or fixed increments and aggregate.zoo
will still work in case you want to summarize all points with the same
time into a single point. Here is an example of adding increments via
interpolation with numeric times:

> library(zoo)
> z <- zoo(11:15, c(1, 1, 2, 2, 5))
Warning message:
In zoo(11:15, c(1, 1, 2, 2, 5)) :
  some methods for "zoo" objects do not work if the index entries in
'order.by' are not unique
 1  1  2  2  5
11 12 13 14 15
> time(z) <- na.approx(ifelse(duplicated(time(z)), NA, time(z)))
  1 1.5   2 3.5   5
 11  12  13  14  15