[R-SIG-Finance] MAR-ARCH

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Oct 23 17:48:47 CEST 2007

Ajay is talking about something different than what you (Dirk)
are and I was talking about.

The latter topic is: how good does my model capture the
financial phenomenon in which I'm interested.

Ajay's topic is: I have a model and at least two implementations
of that model.  I don't care how good it is for interpreting reality,
but what I do care about is if I can say anything about the quality
of the implementations.

Garch is a particularly fertile ground for the second question.  It
is probably somewhat of an exaggeration, but there may be problems
for which you get a unique answer from each implementation you try.
Even for univariate garch(1,1) assuming Gaussian errors.

As for standards on this, Bruce McCullough wrote a paper on garch
implementations, and Dietmar Maringer and Peter Winker wrote a
paper on the difficulty of getting the optimal estimate.

Pat