[R-SIG-Finance] MAR-ARCH

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Oct 23 10:50:49 CEST 2007

Comparing estimators is a good idea.  But a good comparison
is more complex than stated.

What matters with garch is prediction, not estimation.  So we
want to test how good the predictions are.  For univariate we
can just compare the realized variance to the predicted variance
for a number of time periods.  It is best if this includes periods in
different volatility regimes.

For multivariate the comparison of realized to predicted is more
complex.  A couple of choices are to look at the maximum absolute
value of eigenvalues of the difference.  Another is to look at the
minimum variance portfolio.

If you do such testing, it becomes apparent that 1000 daily observations
is about as small as you want to go.  2000 observations is better, and even
more is probably good.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696