[R-SIG-Finance] American basket options

Wojciech Slusarski wojciech.slusarski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 08:58:30 CEST 2007

I used it for american-asian options (also called hawaiian) and it was
quite stable. though there are two dimensions only of the problem -
spot price and average strike being path dependant. A friend of mine
used that for pricing bermudan swaptions, where you have to model the
whole interest rate term structure which results in higher
dimensionality and said that sometimes it gives strange results and
sometimes spurious. In the original L-S algorithm you conduct
regression only on paths on which the option is in-the-money. He
extended that, by runing regression on all paths. The main problem is
the selection of proper polynomials for the regression. Instead of
that, he was splitting the space for equally sized small pieces and
was fitting linear model. It was providing fine results, though was a
bit time consuming.

Best regards,
Wojciech