[R-SIG-Finance] pointers on using VaR.gpd with return series?

Sylvain BARTHELEMY barth at tac-financial.com
Tue Aug 21 16:19:56 CEST 2007

I think that there is a problem with the VaR.gpd function, as it works on
USD/EUR and not on EUR/USD values

library(PerformanceAnalytics)
eurusd <- get.hist.quote("EUR/USD", provider="oanda", start = "2006-01-01")
usdeur <- get.hist.quote("USD/EUR", provider="oanda", start = "2006-01-01")

library(VaR)
v1 <- VaR.gpd(as.vector(eurusd))
v2 <- VaR.gpd(as.vector(usdeur))

output:

> v1 <- VaR.gpd(as.vector(eurusd))
Error in optim(init, gpd.liklhd, hessian = TRUE, method = "Nelder-Mead") :
         non-finite finite-difference value [2]
In addition: There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the
first 50)

> v2 <- VaR.gpd(as.vector(usdeur))
There were 11 warnings (use warnings() to see)

---
Sylvain Barthélémy
Research Director, TAC
www.tac-financial.com | www.sylbarth.com