[R-SIG-Finance] making sense of 100's of funds

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Sun Aug 19 11:23:38 CEST 2007

paul sorenson wrote:

>Probably not unsurprisingly, the correlation between the SP200 and the
>global share fund daily returns goes up (from 0.16 to 0.42) when I
>insert a 1 day lag.

Careful.

There are asynchrony issues with global data, which definitely affect
the correlation (it is too low). Presumably the global return series has
asynchrony issues all by itself.

The working paper for Burns, Engle and Mezrich (1998) is available
at http://www.econ.ucsd.edu/papers/dp97.html

That paper talks about the effects of asynchrony and proposes a
method of backing out data without asynchrony.  Our investigation
suggested that using weekly data is adequate for avoiding asynchrony
effects.

>http://www.metrak.com/tmp/exch10.png has plots produced by ccf().
>
>Brian - if I want to look at returns over a different period using
>PerformanceAnalytics when the base data is daily, is the normal strategy
>just to undersample prices before calling CalculateReturns?
>
>I am guessing that the correlation of the SP200 and global share fund
>would increase when looking at a longer time period.  I also want to
>compare it with some other data which comes out monthly.
>
>cheers
>
>BTW sorry if I am boring you guys with what must be very basic stuff -
>just tell me.

Asynchrony is neither basic (i.e., well-studied) nor very well appreciated.
I don't vote this message boring.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696