[R-SIG-Finance] RMetrics fBasics market data retrieval andtimeSeries functionality still being maintained at all?

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Aug 14 20:10:10 CEST 2007

David-Michael Lincke wrote:
> Thanks everybody for pointing this out. I did not expect updates to the
> packages to be dependent on the very latest release of R being installed
> given that my installation is still less then a year old.

They aren't required to be tied together.  However, some package authors
set the R requirement for new package releases at the version that they
are running, so that they "know it works" with the R version they use.
I tend to try to keep one machine on an older version, because I know
people stay a little bit behind, but this has caused package problems
for me in the past as well.

update.packages() will only find updated versions that are compatible
with your version of R, not those stating a requirement for a newer R
than you are running.  Since the newest Rmetrics code requires R 2.5.0+,
your update.packages didn't find it.

Regards,

   - Brian