[R-SIG-Finance] making sense of 100's of funds

paul sorenson sf at metrak.com
Mon Aug 13 10:52:40 CEST 2007

Toby,

Thanks for the tips.  I am somewhat of a cynic also. When it is my own
retirement fund, academic meets real-life in a fairly personal way!  I
have heard figures that something like 98% (from memory) of Australian's
"don't understand superannuation".

I am trying to get myself well into the 2%.  Writing R code leveraging
some of the great packages out there is just a method of learning which
I find works for me.  It can be slow going at times though.

I have picked out 8 funds to crunch through and using the ASX SP200 as
the benchmark for exercising my code.  My "practice" data set is at
http://www.metrak.com/tmp/exitprices.csv and I retrieved the SP200 using
get.hist.quote("^AXJO", start="2002-01-01", quote="Close", retclass="zoo").

I have used CalculateReturns from PerformanceAnalytics to create returns
as zoo objects so hopefully I will be able to calculate the alphas.  If
I understand your comment below, I am looking for a more positive
intercept on my choice of fund compared with the benchmark?

cheers