[R-SIG-Finance] making sense of 100's of funds

paul sorenson sf at metrak.com
Sat Aug 11 13:08:24 CEST 2007

Ok - thanks for the tips off list Brian and Patrick.

After reading through some of the PerformanceAnalytics docs one of the
first things I tried to do was convert the daily unit prices to returns.
  Just looking at the resulting time series is enlightening in its own
right (I guess I should be surprised).

The next bit it more of an R style question.  I currently have the data
in one data frame with the fund name as a factor.

 > names(funds)
  [1] "fundname"   "tier"       "region"     "assetClass" "security"
  [6] "style"      "geared"     "hedged"     "pdate"      "EntryPrice"
[11] "ExitPrice"  "Group"

Plotting the raw prices is almost a trivial matter with xyplot's formula
interface, with or without groups:

print(xyplot(ExitPrice ~ pdate | fundname,  data=funds, type='l',
              layout=c(2,4),
              par.strip.text=list(cex=0.7)))

It may just be my inexperience with lattice but once I start dealing
with zoo objects, then lattice doesn't seem to be quite so convenient.
I could cbind the returns back into the the dataframe and continue using
xyplot but it seems that would be throwing away the features of zoo.

What do people on the list do?

cheers